Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why are HR departments plagued with slow turnaround time?



If an HR department calls to tell you that they are going to call you back by Friday the 26th at the latest with a job offer you'd be happy right? What if said HR department doesn't call when by Friday the 26th, what are you supposed to do then? Just assume that they got busy, forgot, died? How much time after their self-imposed deadline should you give them before: calling them back to see what's going on, calling them back telling them to stick it, telling yourself to forget it and they're not really gonna call?

If they say they are going to call, they had darn well better call you no matter what. If stuff happened on Friday the 26th, and then Monday the 29th was a holiday, HR MUST call first thing Tuesday the 30th. HR is one of the only departments I can think of that has the power to grab someone's life and dangle them by a string. Dangle them with hopes of a new career, higher salary, better benefits, a simple phonecall.

I've tried asking around as to why HR is so slow and nobody had a good answer. Everyone I talk to agrees that HR is horribly slow and that it's very unfortunate for the people trying to deal with them.

The last time HR was taking too long for something to happened I called a VP in the company. He made a call to HR and the very next day the process had proceeded another step. It's almost as if HR talks to people and then completely forgets about them...unless somebody higher up calls them and reminds them that they've still got somebody dangling, waiting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I am totally anonymous...I think it is a bunch of crap that HR can't call back. I agree that they have the power to make or break peoples livelihood. I had an experience once where it had been over a week since HR said they would call back. I even called back in hopes of "stirring up the pot" to see if I could get any feedback as to what the HELL was taking so long. Patience ran out a LONG time again. I am still waiting...